Thursday, August 25, 2011

How to grow a new fig tree

I have a very nice fig tree in my back yard. It gives large light green figs which are dark red and moisty on the inside. Lets just say that the taste is something to be remembered.
Since I have ample space in my backyard I decided to plant another one of this fig trees. After searching on the Internet I discovered that a cutting can be taken from the parent tree and a new tree can be grown from it. The procedure suggested taking a this year's branch and cutting the last 15 centimeters of it and placing it into moist soil. It was suggested to remove all the leaves from the cutting but the one on the top.
Well, I followed this procedure but with no success. After three weeks the branch was dry and brittle and I had to pronounce it dead.
Since I had experience with rooting Dracaena deremensis at home I tried a similar approach for the fig tree as well. The procedure worked and now I have a healthy little fig tree in a pot.
The steps taken are the following:

  1. Take a cutting 15 centimeters long from a green branch.
  2. Remove all leaves but the one on the top of the branch.
  3. Place the cutting into a plastic bottle filed with water.
  4. Leave the bottle into light shade for 2-3 weeks (the moment when there is tiny white moss like structure at the cutting bottom it is ready for planting).
  5. Plant into moist soil.
  6. Leave the pot in light shade but remember to put it out on the sun early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
  7. After two weeks from planting new leaf growth appears.
The new fig is growing happily in a pot in my back yard right now. The first winter I'm planning to keep it indoors because it might freeze. Next spring it will be planted in the back yard and hopefully in a couple of years my family can enjoy its fruits.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story it made me want to plant fig tree even if I don't have a backyard. Please do continue with this inspiring blog post's Dragan you're my hero.

    ReplyDelete

Your Ad Here