Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ninite, a time saver service after a fresh Windows install

So you had to format your PC and reinstall Windows again. After completing the windows installation and installing the needed drivers you end up with a bare bones PC which is not really usable for anything.
But do not despair, Ninite comes to the rescue. With just a couple of clicks one can have all the essential software installed:
Step one: select web browsers, messaging clients and media players:

My browsers of choice are Google chrome for its speed and sleek design and Firefox for its customizability with the wide array of plug ins available.
Skype and MSN are my favorite chat clients, I use the first one mostly for work and the second one exclusively for pleasure.
VLC is a must on every PC that should play media files. It plays virtually every media file without any need for codecs.
I prefer Winamp for mp3 files because of its look and its ability to handle playlists.


Step two: select runtimes, imaging, document managers and antivirus software:



Flash, Java and .Net are a must on every PC so its better to install them immediately.
For documents management I prefer not to pay to Microsoft so I use LibreOffice which is enough for my needs. For pdf I prefer Foxit Reader to Adobe reader because it is smaller and faster. PDF creator is what I use to generate ready to print pdf documents from anything.
From the available free protection software I chose Avast as one of the best protection solutions, accompanied by Spybot which is used only to run on demand scans (It is faster and it detects more threats than Avast).

Step three: select file-sharing, utilities, compression and antivirus software:

For torrents I use uTorrent because it is the best client available for windows. It gives me complete control of everything torrent-related.
The essential utilities every Windows PC must have are:
ImgBurn - don't let the look of this application fool you, the GUI may be bad but it is absolutely the best free software for burning disks.
Revo - This piece of software removes everything that the typical windows uninstaller leaves behind.
CCleaner - This program removes all the useless crap that piles up after a prolonged usage of a windows OS.
Winrar is a must for every PC, it deals with all compression stuff effortlessly.

As a bonus I recommend installing TotalCommander for better file management options.

I hope that this post will help you with the Windows installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here